Friday, January 13, 2012

Why Being a Single Parent Sucks....and ROCKS!

Yesterday I was frustrated and annoyed at life in general.  I was thinking about all the things that make single parenting so hard.  I'm not talking about shared parenting, but true single parenting.  You know....where there is no other parent.  Here's my list of things I hate about it.

1.  "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom"  Somedays I wish that wasn't my name.  When you are the only parent, you get ALL the questions, requests, demands, ect.  There isn't anyone else to bounce it off of.  Somedays I just wish there was someone I could say, "Honey, it's your turn to get out of bed, get her a drink of water, check for monsters in the closet while I stay warm under the covers."  Nope...it's just me.

2.  I miss being able to leave the kiddo at home with dad so I can make a quick trip to the store.  Especially when it is 10pm and I just remembered that I NEED something.  Being single means loading the kid up for EVERYTHING.

3.  Single parents don't get sick days.  Enough said.

4.  Raising a kid is a team effort and there's no "I" in team...unless of course that's all you have.

5.  Sleeping in.  My kid doesn't know the definition, so that concept no longer lives in our house.

6.  Adult conversation I miss you. 

7.  That terrifying moment when you realize that it's just you and you alone that is responsible for an amazing little person.  You have to be healthy for them (mentally and physically), you are financially responsible (can you say "College") and if they end up in therapy there's no one else to share the blame.

There's more, but you get the idea.  So after a day of having a pity party, I went home and cooked dinner for two (that should be on the list too) and got the little one ready for bed.  When it was time for bedtime stories and tuck in, my little angel snuggled against me and said, "You're the best mommy ever!"  In that instant, I forgot about the all those things that suck about being a single parent and was reminded of the reasons that being a single parent rocks.

1.  I don't have to share.  The kisses, hugs and snuggles are ALL MINE!

2.  I don't have to argue about rules.  I make them and there is no one else to challenge my authority!  (I do realize that this perk will go out the window in a few years once she thinks she is smarter than me.  But for now I will bask in my role as ruler of the house.)

3.  Whenever there are school events where the kid gets to invite ONE person....it's me. 

4.  We've become our own little team.  When I get sick, she likes to "take care of mommy".  It's not always the most helpful thing, but it is super sweet. 

5.  I never have to hear, "Dad would let me" or "That's not how Dad does it" or "Dad is cooler than you". 

All in all, the pros far outwiegh the cons.  It's just me and her and we have created one hell of a team.  Yeah, I want to pull out my hair somedays, but that is why grandma and grandpa are on my speed dial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Say It!!